Syndicate content
Updated: 1 hour 4 min ago

Police Arrest Four Ex-President Jonathan's In-laws Over Theft of Jewellery, Valuables Worth N300m

3 hours 40 min ago


Operatives of the Operation Puff Adder of the Bayelsa State Police Command have arrested four in-laws of ex-President Goodluck Jonathan over alleged involvement in the theft in his Otuoke home, Ogbia Local Government Area of the state.

The in-laws carted away jewellery, customized walking stick and other valuables worth over N300m.

The four persons included two brothers of former first lady, Dame Patience Jonathan, and two other ladies suspected to be members of Jonathan's family.

The two brothers of Patience were identified as Mowsor Princewill Oba and Boma Rasheed Oba. 

The other two female suspects have yet to be identified.

It was gathered that one of the arrested suspects, who is a member of the management staff of the Aridolf Resort, Hotel and Spa owned by Patience had  duplicated the keys to the rooms where the valuables were kept and perpetrated the gradual looting of the room.

It was gathered that after some domestic staff of the former president discovered the theft, he was informed and he quickly called in men of the Bayelsa Police Command to arrest them and recover the loot.

A source close to the former first family said that Patience was shocked by the theft. 

The source disclosed that the suspects were showing signs of remorse and regretted their action.

“They are already making useful confession to the police and some monies from the proceeds are being recovered,” the source said.
 

CRIME Police News AddThis :  Original Author :  SaharaReporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
Categories: audio

Odigie-Oyegun To Oshiomhole: Allow Obaseki Do His Job, Stop Disgracing APC

3 hours 44 min ago


John Odigie-Oyegun, APC Chairman

John Odigie-Oyegun, ex-APC Chairman

A former National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, John Odigie-Oyegun, has urged his successor, Adams Oshiomhole, to desist from interfering in the affairs of Gov. Godwin Obaseki of Edo State.

Odigie-Oyegun gave the advice in a statement signed by his Public Affairs Adviser, Chief Ray Morphy, on Sunday in Abuja.

“I appeal to him (Oshiomhole) to stop disgracing the governing party APC and Edo State.

“He should give the governor a breeding space to concentrate on doing the job of serving the people of Edo.

“I wonder how he could easily forget that I never interfered or bothered about how he ran the government as the then governor of Edo all the while I occupied the position of the party’s national chairman.

“I am yet to come to terms with why it has become difficult for Oshiomhole to realise that Gov. Obaseki is the only APC governor in the entire South-South.

“And he should be allowed to concentrate on giving the people of Edo the dividends of democracy,’’ Odigie-Oyegun said.

He urged the Progressive Governors Forum not to stand aside and watch its fellow governor being hampered by a party chairman whose actions might lead to the political misfortune of the party.

“I want to also appeal to the Progressives Governors not to stand aside and watch their fellow governor hampered by a party chairman whose actions may lead to the political misfortune of the party in the state.

“The recent outburst by Gov Obaseki and the report by the House of Representatives ad-hoc committee, indicting the current National Chairman of the APC, have confirmed my earlier claim that Oshiomhole is responsible for the crisis in Edo.

“In the face of these confirmations, I want to urge Oshiomhole to stop disgracing the ruling party and the good people of Edo,’’ Odigie-Oyegun said.

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), recalls that a similar scenario had played out in the last PDP era between its erstwhile National Chairman, Dr Okwesilieze Nwodo, and his then Enugu Governor Sullivan Chime.

That incident led to the removal of Nwodo by the then ruling PDP. 
 

Politics News AddThis :  Original Author :  SaharaReporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
Categories: audio

Balarabe, Falana To Buhari: Nigeria Increasingly Being Defined By Insecurity, Address Nigerians Now

7 hours 27 min ago


Balarabe Musa and Femi Falana

Balarabe Musa and Femi Falana SaharaReporters Media

 

Worried by insecurity in the country, a former Governor of old Kaduna State, Balarabe Musa, and a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Femi Falana, on Sunday, issued a joint statement, calling on President Muhammadu Buhari to address the country on security and rejig the national strategy to ensure the safety of life and property.

Balarabe and Falana said it was unfortunate that Nigeria is being defined by the problem of insecurity.

They stated, “Nigeria is increasingly being defined by insecurity. Killings have become almost a daily affair in Nigeria. Terror attacks, banditry, kidnapping, and armed robbery are perpetrated by criminals with reckless abandon.

“Amid the cacophony of ethnic and regional voices, it is imperative that pan - Nigerian voices should be heard louder than ever before to save Nigeria from disintegration.  The symptoms of the brewing socio-political crisis are manifest.”

The human rights activists noted that the Nigerian state had failed to tackle the worsening insecurity plaguing every part of the country. 

The statement partly read, “In practical terms, no part of Nigeria is immune to violent crimes, although the incidence might be relatively higher in one part than the other at this time. The tragic news of lives wasted issues from the north and south, east and west.    

“In response to the flourishing crimes in the face of the worrisome incompetence of the state, ethnic and regional champions have resorted into the dangerous ethnic profiling and demonisation of others.  It is the reign of hate speech and marketing of prejudice. Claiming to speak for “our people,” they issue irresponsible ultimatums and orders for which they lack constitutional authority to enforce.  Some of those who are supposed to act as statesmen at this critical hour has instead joined the ranks of issuers of prejudicial statements.”

Balarabe and Falana said the best way to respond to the issues was to compel the Nigerian state under the watch of President Muhammadu Buhari to perform the constitutional duty of keeping Nigeria secure.   

They urged law enforcement and other security agencies to fight crimes competently and strictly according to the law, noting that the ethnic and religious identity of the criminal is not of any importance. 

According to them, ethnic and religious profiling could distract from the urgent task of stamping out crimes. 

“The truth is that every ethnic and religious group has its share of criminals. We must separate crimes from prejudice so that criminals could be fought with a unity of purpose as a nation. It is also an indisputable fact that the victims of criminal activities belong to the various ethnic grounds and religions,” they stressed.

Advising the President on how to tackle the issue, they called for “rethinking” of the country’s internal security strategy by considering some of the patriotic suggestions from conferences and panels set up by the government in the last few years.   See Also ACTIVISM El-Zakzaky: Nigerian Government Provoking Fresh Insurgency, Says Falana 0 Comments 5 Days Ago

They added, “In our view, another conference (by whatever name) may not be coming up anything new given that the Nigerian condition is akin to an emergency.  The police and other security agencies should be equipped and organised to perform their duty in the light of the new dimensions of insecurity. The justice system, especially in the states, should be alert to their responsibility of diligent and swift prosecution of arrested suspected criminals. The respective attorneys-general in the affected states must prosecute suspected killers, kidnappers, and armed robbers.  

“All the tiers of government have responsibilities for security, working in unison.  If the degeneration in the Nigerian condition is not halted, the nation may descend into anarchy. Doubtless, the poor people will bear the brunt of such an avoidable disaster.   We, therefore, call on President to rally the country around a national purpose of security everywhere in Nigeria as the constitution demands. 

“This leadership duty should be in words and action. The President should address the nation specifically to give assurance of his commitment to the unity of Nigeria amidst adequate security.  It is also the duty of genuine lovers of peace, freedom, and development of Nigeria to speak up to save the nation from the descent of anarchy.  It is time that pan-Nigerian voices are heard loud and clear.”

 

Politics News AddThis :  Original Author :  SaharaReporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
Categories: audio

Zamfara Killing: I'm In Constant Contact With Bandits, Says Nigeria Police Chief As Residents Carry Corpse To Government House

12 hours 45 min ago


 

The residents of Jimrawa village in the Kaura-Namoda Local Government Area of Zamfara State have taken remains of a  victim killed by bandits to the Government House in Gusau.

The state government recently released about 100 arrested bandits on amnesty.

Bandits’ commanders in Birnin-Magaji Local Government Area of the state also had a peace talk, promising that attacks will stop in the state with the amnesty move of the government.

However, residents of Jimrawa village on Saturday took the corpse to the Government House as a show that the peace talk is not working.

The villagers who rode to Gusau, the state's capital, frightened the residents in the city who thought bandits were invading.

Usman Nagogo, the Commissioner of Police in the state, received the protesters.

According to the villagers, despite the peace accord reached by the government, the bandits are still killing innocent people.

They said over 30 people from the village had been killed by suspected Fulani bandits within the last few days, with the peace accord in place.

They said unless urgent action was taken, they would be left with no option but to flee from the village to avoid becoming victims of such attacks.

Nagogo, while receiving the group promised that the perpetrators would be arrested.

He said: “I can confidently assure you that the peace initiative by Governor Bello Matawalle which I lead in the state is working as can be seen in the release of kidnap victims and the repentance of several bandits.

"But that does not mean that the hardened criminals are no longer there, they are the ones that will perpetuate this. I’m in constant contact with bandit groups in all the bushes and our discussions have been positive leading to the peace we are now enjoying.

“On this Jirrawa issue, I have spoken with my contacts around the are and the repentant bandits promised to meet tomorrow and fish out the perpetrators of this latest attack and hand the culprits over to me; this is in the spirit of the partnership we are now enjoying.”

CRIME Insurgency Police News AddThis :  Original Author :  SaharaReporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
Categories: audio

Zamfara Killing: I'm In Constant Contact With Bandits, Says Nigeria Police Chief As Residents Carry Corpse To Government House

12 hours 45 min ago


 

The residents of Jimrawa village in the Kaura-Namoda Local Government Area of Zamfara State have taken remains of a  victim killed by bandits to the Government House in Gusau.

The state government recently released about 100 arrested bandits on amnesty.

Bandits’ commanders in Birnin-Magaji Local Government Area of the state also had a peace talk, promising that attacks will stop in the state with the amnesty move of the government.

However, residents of Jimrawa village on Saturday took the corpse to the Government House as a show that the peace talk is not working.

The villagers who rode to Gusau, the state's capital, frightened the residents in the city who thought bandits were invading.

Usman Nagogo, the Commissioner of Police in the state, received the protesters.

According to the villagers, despite the peace accord reached by the government, the bandits are still killing innocent people.

They said over 30 people from the village had been killed by suspected Fulani bandits within the last few days, with the peace accord in place.

They said unless urgent action was taken, they would be left with no option but to flee from the village to avoid becoming victims of such attacks.

Nagogo, while receiving the group promised that the perpetrators would be arrested.

He said: “I can confidently assure you that the peace initiative by Governor Bello Matawalle which I lead in the state is working as can be seen in the release of kidnap victims and the repentance of several bandits.

"But that does not mean that the hardened criminals are no longer there, they are the ones that will perpetuate this. I’m in constant contact with bandit groups in all the bushes and our discussions have been positive leading to the peace we are now enjoying.

“On this Jirrawa issue, I have spoken with my contacts around the are and the repentant bandits promised to meet tomorrow and fish out the perpetrators of this latest attack and hand the culprits over to me; this is in the spirit of the partnership we are now enjoying.”

CRIME Insurgency Police News AddThis :  Original Author :  SaharaReporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
Categories: audio

Olakunrin's Killing: Tinubu Calls For End Of Violence In Nigeria

12 hours 55 min ago


 

National leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Tinubu, has called on peace lovers to join hands and put an end to crimes in Nigeria.

Tinubu made the call during the commendation service and night o tribute in memory of late Mrs. Olufunke Olakunri, daughter of the Afenifere leader, pa Reuben Fasoranti at the harbour point in Victoria Island, Lagos on Saturday.

Olakunri was shot dead by armed men suspected to be herdsmen last along the Benin-Ore expressway.

According to the national leader, late Mrs. Olakunri meant no harm and extended her goodwill to all.  See Also Sahara Reporters Tinubu Visits Fasoranti, Reacts To Report Linking Fasoranti’s Daughter's Killers To Herdsmen 0 Comments 1 Week Ago

Tinubu said, “All who encountered Funke attests to her goodness, nobleness, decency. She meant no harm to no one, extended goodwill and empathy to all. 

“In the spirit of Funke, let those who love peace, regardless of religion, tribe or political affiliation, come together so that we do all we can to put an end to such criminality in our society.”

Politics News AddThis :  Original Author :  SaharaReporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
Categories: audio

Olakunrin's Killing: Tinubu Calls For End Of Violence In Nigeria

12 hours 55 min ago


 

National leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Tinubu, has called on peace lovers to join hands and put an end to crimes in Nigeria.

Tinubu made the call during the commendation service and night o tribute in memory of late Mrs. Olufunke Olakunri, daughter of the Afenifere leader, pa Reuben Fasoranti at the harbour point in Victoria Island, Lagos on Saturday.

Olakunri was shot dead by armed men suspected to be herdsmen last along the Benin-Ore expressway.

According to the national leader, late Mrs. Olakunri meant no harm and extended her goodwill to all.  See Also Insurgency Tinubu Visits Fasoranti, Reacts To Report Linking Fasoranti’s Daughter's Killers To Herdsmen 0 Comments 6 Days Ago

Tinubu said, “All who encountered Funke attests to her goodness, nobleness, decency. She meant no harm to no one, extended goodwill and empathy to all. 

“In the spirit of Funke, let those who love peace, regardless of religion, tribe or political affiliation, come together so that we do all we can to put an end to such criminality in our society.”

Politics News AddThis :  Original Author :  SaharaReporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
Categories: audio

Busola, Timi Dakolo Given Letter Of Invitation, Not Arrest Warrant -Inspector-General Of Police

13 hours 54 sec ago


 

The Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, says a letter of invitation, not an arrest warrant, was sent to Busola and Timi Dakolo over the rape allegations levelled against Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo, founder of Common Wealth of Zion Assembly (COZA).

This was contained in a statement by the police spokesman, Frank Mba.

The statement noted that the invitation was sequel to an ongoing police investigation touching on the wider and highly publicized case involving Busola Dakolo, Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo, and others.

The statement said, "The Nigeria Police is confirming that its operatives today, 20th July 2019 served official invitation letters on Busola and Timi Dakolo. The invitation is sequel to an on-going police investigation touching on the wider and highly publicized case involving Bisola Dakolo, Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo, and others.

"It is important however to note that a police invitation letter is not synonymous with a warrant of arrest, and must not be construed to be one. Rather, it is a polite investigative tool used in eliciting information voluntarily from parties to aid police investigations."  See Also Breaking News BREAKING: Policemen Storm Busola Dakolo's Residence 0 Comments 16 Hours Ago

Mba urged Nigerians to see the action of the police as a legitimate act in line with the constitutional mandate of the police, which among other things include the investigation of all complaints brought before it.

"The Inspector-General of Police, IGP MA Adamu, has appealed for calm and is reassuring Nigerians that the police under his watch will remain professional, impartial and unreservedly committed to the pursuit of justice in this case and all other cases before it," the statement added.

Christianity CRIME Police Scandal Sex News AddThis :  Original Author :  SaharaReporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
Categories: audio

Busola, Timi Dakolo Given Letter Of Invitation, Not Arrest Warrant -Inspector-General Of Police

13 hours 54 sec ago


 

The Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, says a letter of invitation, not an arrest warrant, was sent to Busola and Timi Dakolo over the rape allegations levelled against Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo, founder of Common Wealth of Zion Assembly (COZA).

This was contained in a statement by the police spokesman, Frank Mba.

The statement noted that the invitation was sequel to an ongoing police investigation touching on the wider and highly publicized case involving Busola Dakolo, Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo, and others.

The statement said, "The Nigeria Police is confirming that its operatives today, 20th July 2019 served official invitation letters on Busola and Timi Dakolo. The invitation is sequel to an on-going police investigation touching on the wider and highly publicized case involving Bisola Dakolo, Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo, and others.

"It is important however to note that a police invitation letter is not synonymous with a warrant of arrest, and must not be construed to be one. Rather, it is a polite investigative tool used in eliciting information voluntarily from parties to aid police investigations."  See Also Breaking News BREAKING: Policemen Storm Busola Dakolo's Residence 0 Comments 1 Day Ago

Mba urged Nigerians to see the action of the police as a legitimate act in line with the constitutional mandate of the police, which among other things include the investigation of all complaints brought before it.

"The Inspector-General of Police, IGP MA Adamu, has appealed for calm and is reassuring Nigerians that the police under his watch will remain professional, impartial and unreservedly committed to the pursuit of justice in this case and all other cases before it," the statement added.

Christianity CRIME Police Scandal Sex News AddThis :  Original Author :  SaharaReporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
Categories: audio

Governors, Journalists, Others Are Targets Of Boko Haram -Gen. Biu

13 hours 5 min ago


 

Major General Abdulmalik Bulama Biu, the General Officer Commanding (GOC), 7 Division of the Nigerian Army Maiduguri and Sector Commander (Sector 1) Operation Lafiya Dole, has said no one is safe from insurgents' attacks, not even those in the government.

The new GOC said while speaking at his promotion reception in Maiduguri.

“The governor is not spared likewise even the messengers in the office. The woman in the market and the man or woman on the streets, the journalists even with the mighty pen are not spared with insecurity around,” he said.

He also assured the nation that the force would not be deterred from fighting the insurgency in the country despite ambush on men of the Nigerian Soldiers.

Some soldiers, including high ranking officers, and aid workers were killed during a recent attack by the Boko Haram insurgent group in Borno and Maiduguri states.

He added that the officers and soldiers in the frontline would remain resolute in their mandate to end the insurgency.

He said: “We will not be deterred by the recent ambush of our troops and the humanitarian workers. We assured that we will do what is needful to bring the situation under control.”

Boko Haram Military News AddThis :  Original Author :  SaharaReporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
Categories: audio

Governors, Journalists, Others Are Targets Of Boko Haram -Gen. Biu

13 hours 5 min ago


 

Major General Abdulmalik Bulama Biu, the General Officer Commanding (GOC), 7 Division of the Nigerian Army Maiduguri and Sector Commander (Sector 1) Operation Lafiya Dole, has said no one is safe from insurgents' attacks, not even those in the government.

The new GOC said while speaking at his promotion reception in Maiduguri.

“The governor is not spared likewise even the messengers in the office. The woman in the market and the man or woman on the streets, the journalists even with the mighty pen are not spared with insecurity around,” he said.

He also assured the nation that the force would not be deterred from fighting the insurgency in the country despite ambush on men of the Nigerian Soldiers.

Some soldiers, including high ranking officers, and aid workers were killed during a recent attack by the Boko Haram insurgent group in Borno and Maiduguri states.

He added that the officers and soldiers in the frontline would remain resolute in their mandate to end the insurgency.

He said: “We will not be deterred by the recent ambush of our troops and the humanitarian workers. We assured that we will do what is needful to bring the situation under control.”

Boko Haram Military News AddThis :  Original Author :  SaharaReporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
Categories: audio

There Are Political Herdsmen De-Marketing Nigeria -Presidency

13 hours 11 min ago


 

 

The presidency said bombing attacks have reduced since President Mohammadu Buhari took up office in 2015.

Femi Adesina, the Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to the President, said this in an interview with the Crest newspaper.

He also condemned Olusegun Obasanjo, former president of Nigeria, for being political in his criticism of President Buhari.

Adesina said: “Whatever former President Obasanjo says now cannot be taken as neutral. It cannot be taken as something from a disinterested party because he has a political position where he anchors everything he says. His opinion then cannot be taken as the gospel truth any longer.

“It can only be the opinion of one man and he has the right to that opinion.

“No doubt, there are security challenges in the country, but are things better than 2015? Yes, things are better than in 2015.

“In 2015, do you know how many bombs went off daily in this country? Yes, daily! And with scores dead in different parts of the country! 
“It happened in the North-East; happened in the North-West; happened in the North-Central. Abuja, the federal capital, was not immune from it. But, that has largely been reduced.

“You hardly hear of those bombs going off again because the government has made a big difference. Now, we have challenges in other areas-kidnapping, armed banditry, armed robbery, and all that. Yes, there are challenges but the government exists to solve challenges. And this government is doing its best to solve the challenges. People also exaggerate things for political reasons. We are not saying those challenges are not there. Of course, they are there.”

The presidential spokesman said Nigeria would not disintegrate contrary to predictions.

He said: “But then to now say the entire country has been taken over, to say that the government is failing, is political. Nigeria is still there, it is very solid. It will remain solid. It will remain one, and the challenges will be overcome.

“Government is not the only institution responsible for security. It is a collaborative thing between the government and the governed. Government at the federal level is not the only one responsible for security.

“But what do we find? You find some people, they will go and cause trouble at the local government (level), and they will be calling President Buhari, who is at the centre, to come and resolve it.

“You have a government at the federal level; you have a government at the state level. And you have a government at the local level. All of them-federal, states, and local governments, must collaborate to end this security challenge. The people, as well as the traditional institutions, have their roles to play. It is a collaborative thing.”

Concerning the menace of herders-farmers clashes nationwide, Adesina said the challenges were aggravated by those he termed as “political Fulani herdsmen” to de-market the administration of Buhari.

He said: “The herdsmen-farmers clashes are causing security challenges. There are also political Fulani herdsmen; those ones have been created by hidden hostile hands who want to de-market the government.

“The Fulani issue is there but it is no way near what has been trumpeted, and what has been claimed. To some people in the media, there is no other criminality in the country except Fulani herdsmen.

“Even when other criminals strike, it is Fulani herdsmen. It is stereotyping. It is finger-pointing which is not based on facts. I am not saying that there are no challenges about Fulani herdsmen due to climate change, dwindling resources and things like that. Yes, we have those challenges. But it is not every criminality perpetrated in the country that is done by the Fulanis.

“We have always lived with Fulani herdsmen in this country. They drive their cattle from different parts. When the rains are here, you see them. They move southwest and they get to forage for their cattle and all that. And when the rains go and the water recedes, you find them following the water as it recedes. In the process, they drive their herds into farmlands and it becomes an issue. There was a way that the problem was settled in this country before.

“The problem was there in the first republic, even in the second republic. But it was not as bad as we have it now because climate change has affected vegetation and the water table. Lake Chad, for instance, is ten percent of its former size. That has seriously affected grazing and availability of resources because the herdsmen follow the water. They follow where there is green grass to feed their animals.”

Politics News AddThis :  Original Author :  SaharaReporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
Categories: audio

There Are Political Herdsmen De-Marketing Nigeria -Presidency

13 hours 11 min ago


 

 

The presidency said bombing attacks have reduced since President Mohammadu Buhari took up office in 2015.

Femi Adesina, the Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to the President, said this in an interview with the Crest newspaper.

He also condemned Olusegun Obasanjo, former president of Nigeria, for being political in his criticism of President Buhari.

Adesina said: “Whatever former President Obasanjo says now cannot be taken as neutral. It cannot be taken as something from a disinterested party because he has a political position where he anchors everything he says. His opinion then cannot be taken as the gospel truth any longer.

“It can only be the opinion of one man and he has the right to that opinion.

“No doubt, there are security challenges in the country, but are things better than 2015? Yes, things are better than in 2015.

“In 2015, do you know how many bombs went off daily in this country? Yes, daily! And with scores dead in different parts of the country! 
“It happened in the North-East; happened in the North-West; happened in the North-Central. Abuja, the federal capital, was not immune from it. But, that has largely been reduced.

“You hardly hear of those bombs going off again because the government has made a big difference. Now, we have challenges in other areas-kidnapping, armed banditry, armed robbery, and all that. Yes, there are challenges but the government exists to solve challenges. And this government is doing its best to solve the challenges. People also exaggerate things for political reasons. We are not saying those challenges are not there. Of course, they are there.”

The presidential spokesman said Nigeria would not disintegrate contrary to predictions.

He said: “But then to now say the entire country has been taken over, to say that the government is failing, is political. Nigeria is still there, it is very solid. It will remain solid. It will remain one, and the challenges will be overcome.

“Government is not the only institution responsible for security. It is a collaborative thing between the government and the governed. Government at the federal level is not the only one responsible for security.

“But what do we find? You find some people, they will go and cause trouble at the local government (level), and they will be calling President Buhari, who is at the centre, to come and resolve it.

“You have a government at the federal level; you have a government at the state level. And you have a government at the local level. All of them-federal, states, and local governments, must collaborate to end this security challenge. The people, as well as the traditional institutions, have their roles to play. It is a collaborative thing.”

Concerning the menace of herders-farmers clashes nationwide, Adesina said the challenges were aggravated by those he termed as “political Fulani herdsmen” to de-market the administration of Buhari.

He said: “The herdsmen-farmers clashes are causing security challenges. There are also political Fulani herdsmen; those ones have been created by hidden hostile hands who want to de-market the government.

“The Fulani issue is there but it is no way near what has been trumpeted, and what has been claimed. To some people in the media, there is no other criminality in the country except Fulani herdsmen.

“Even when other criminals strike, it is Fulani herdsmen. It is stereotyping. It is finger-pointing which is not based on facts. I am not saying that there are no challenges about Fulani herdsmen due to climate change, dwindling resources and things like that. Yes, we have those challenges. But it is not every criminality perpetrated in the country that is done by the Fulanis.

“We have always lived with Fulani herdsmen in this country. They drive their cattle from different parts. When the rains are here, you see them. They move southwest and they get to forage for their cattle and all that. And when the rains go and the water recedes, you find them following the water as it recedes. In the process, they drive their herds into farmlands and it becomes an issue. There was a way that the problem was settled in this country before.

“The problem was there in the first republic, even in the second republic. But it was not as bad as we have it now because climate change has affected vegetation and the water table. Lake Chad, for instance, is ten percent of its former size. That has seriously affected grazing and availability of resources because the herdsmen follow the water. They follow where there is green grass to feed their animals.”

Politics News AddThis :  Original Author :  SaharaReporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
Categories: audio

Ministerial List: After 50 Days, Nigerian Senate Says No Ultimatum For Buhari

13 hours 28 min ago


 

Nigerian Senate says it will proceed on its annual recess on Friday even if President Muhammadu Buhari fails to submit the list of his ministerial nominees.

Adedayo Adeyeye, Chairman of Senate ad hoc Committee on Media and Public Affairs Affairs, said this in an interview with Punch.

The National Assembly is meant to go on its annual recess on July 26 and resume on September 26.

Over 50 days after Buhari was sworn in as the President, he has failed to make his appointees known.

The delay is not new.

In 2015, President Buhari did not appoint his ministers 6 months after he was sworn in.

The senate committee ad hoc chair said: “If the list does not come before Friday,  the Senate will proceed on its annual recess. We are not giving the president an ultimatum. The schedule of the Senate will go ahead if the Senate does not receive the list. The list is the only thing that can hold us back.”

Adeyeye said the president was at liberty to send the list whenever he pleased and that the Senate also had a duty to consider it in the overriding national interest.

He added: “However, any time they submit the list, we will consider it.  It is not our responsibility to put pressure on the resident. We can be recalled whenever the list is submitted even if we are already on recess, in the overriding national interest.’’

Politics News AddThis :  Original Author :  SaharaReporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
Categories: audio

Ministerial List: After 50 Days, Nigerian Senate Says No Ultimatum For Buhari

13 hours 28 min ago


 

Nigerian Senate says it will proceed on its annual recess on Friday even if President Muhammadu Buhari fails to submit the list of his ministerial nominees.

Adedayo Adeyeye, Chairman of Senate ad hoc Committee on Media and Public Affairs Affairs, said this in an interview with Punch.

The National Assembly is meant to go on its annual recess on July 26 and resume on September 26.

Over 50 days after Buhari was sworn in as the President, he has failed to make his appointees known.

The delay is not new.

In 2015, President Buhari did not appoint his ministers 6 months after he was sworn in.

The senate committee ad hoc chair said: “If the list does not come before Friday,  the Senate will proceed on its annual recess. We are not giving the president an ultimatum. The schedule of the Senate will go ahead if the Senate does not receive the list. The list is the only thing that can hold us back.”

Adeyeye said the president was at liberty to send the list whenever he pleased and that the Senate also had a duty to consider it in the overriding national interest.

He added: “However, any time they submit the list, we will consider it.  It is not our responsibility to put pressure on the resident. We can be recalled whenever the list is submitted even if we are already on recess, in the overriding national interest.’’

Politics News AddThis :  Original Author :  SaharaReporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
Categories: audio

Counterfeit Drugs: Onitsha Traders Attack Policemen, Drugs Control Operatives

13 hours 37 min ago


Drugs

Drugs independent.ng

 

Policemen and officials of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control were pelted with stones and bottled at Onitsha market in Anambra by traders to prevent the security operatives from seizing their counterfeit drugs.

This was disclosed by Moji Adeyeye, the Director-General of the food and drug agency.

The agency also accused the executive members of the Plumbing Material Market Association in Onitsha of watching on while the government officials were stoned.

She added that the counterfeit drugs were kept at the plumbing material market.

The statement said: “The contingent of NAFDAC officials and police officers were attacked and pelted with stones, bottles, packaged water, and plumbing items by a mob under the watch of the executive members of the Plumbing Material Market Association, Head Bridge, Onitsha.

“However, the NAFDAC team were able to evacuate a limited quantity of the counterfeit anti-malarial, antibiotics, sildenafil citrate, including tetanus toxoid stored in a warehouse with a temperature of over 40 degrees.”

The agency, charged with the mandate of safeguarding the health of Nigerians, noted that storing cold-chain drugs such as vaccines or injections that are supposed to be stored at below 4 degrees at a temperature as high as 40 degrees would have damaged the drug and subjected the person that would take it to danger that could result in death.

It said similarly, other drugs stored at such high temperatures would compromise the health of the population and result in fatalities.

The statement said further, “Counterfeiting of drugs subjects the population to treatment failure and early death. Members of the families of the counterfeiters are included in the population, that is, no one is exempted from the consequences of substandard, falsified and counterfeited medicines.

"Therefore, protect your family from the dangers of falsified medicines by reporting any suspicion of fake medicines to 08001NAFDAC or to the nearest NAFDAC office to you.”

CRIME Drugs News AddThis :  Original Author :  SaharaReporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
Categories: audio

Counterfeit Drugs: Onitsha Traders Attack Policemen, Drugs Control Operatives

13 hours 37 min ago


Drugs

Drugs independent.ng

 

Policemen and officials of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control were pelted with stones and bottled at Onitsha market in Anambra by traders to prevent the security operatives from seizing their counterfeit drugs.

This was disclosed by Moji Adeyeye, the Director-General of the food and drug agency.

The agency also accused the executive members of the Plumbing Material Market Association in Onitsha of watching on while the government officials were stoned.

She added that the counterfeit drugs were kept at the plumbing material market.

The statement said: “The contingent of NAFDAC officials and police officers were attacked and pelted with stones, bottles, packaged water, and plumbing items by a mob under the watch of the executive members of the Plumbing Material Market Association, Head Bridge, Onitsha.

“However, the NAFDAC team were able to evacuate a limited quantity of the counterfeit anti-malarial, antibiotics, sildenafil citrate, including tetanus toxoid stored in a warehouse with a temperature of over 40 degrees.”

The agency, charged with the mandate of safeguarding the health of Nigerians, noted that storing cold-chain drugs such as vaccines or injections that are supposed to be stored at below 4 degrees at a temperature as high as 40 degrees would have damaged the drug and subjected the person that would take it to danger that could result in death.

It said similarly, other drugs stored at such high temperatures would compromise the health of the population and result in fatalities.

The statement said further, “Counterfeiting of drugs subjects the population to treatment failure and early death. Members of the families of the counterfeiters are included in the population, that is, no one is exempted from the consequences of substandard, falsified and counterfeited medicines.

"Therefore, protect your family from the dangers of falsified medicines by reporting any suspicion of fake medicines to 08001NAFDAC or to the nearest NAFDAC office to you.”

CRIME Drugs News AddThis :  Original Author :  SaharaReporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
Categories: audio

Nigerian Criminals Are Richer Than Policemen -Abba Kyari

13 hours 42 min ago


 

Abba Kyari, the Deputy Commissioner of Police and Commander of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) Intelligence Response Team, has said many criminals in the country are richer than policemen and are sponsoring lies against the police.

Kyari in an interview Punch warned criminals to engage in productive ventures rather than crimes.

Kyari said, “My advice is that the criminals should repent, become good citizens, do legitimate business and earn their living. They should know that there is no way they can be committing crimes and go free; we will not relent, we will get them and we will not forget.

“We know that these criminals are also not happy with us and what we have been doing. Some of them have been sponsoring lies against us. But it is normal; whenever you are fighting crime, they will fight back. These criminals have money and what it takes; they are even richer than us. They use the money to sponsor the publication of lies without even crosschecking whether it is true or not.

“This is our country; we don’t have any other country other than Nigeria. So when somebody brings lies against somebody, you investigate it to know whether it is the truth or not before you publish it; that is what we are recommending for our friends in the media.”
 

  CRIME Police News AddThis :  Original Author :  SaharaReporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
Categories: audio

Nigerian Criminals Are Richer Than Policemen -Abba Kyari

13 hours 42 min ago


 

Abba Kyari, the Deputy Commissioner of Police and Commander of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) Intelligence Response Team, has said many criminals in the country are richer than policemen and are sponsoring lies against the police.

Kyari in an interview Punch warned criminals to engage in productive ventures rather than crimes.

Kyari said, “My advice is that the criminals should repent, become good citizens, do legitimate business and earn their living. They should know that there is no way they can be committing crimes and go free; we will not relent, we will get them and we will not forget.

“We know that these criminals are also not happy with us and what we have been doing. Some of them have been sponsoring lies against us. But it is normal; whenever you are fighting crime, they will fight back. These criminals have money and what it takes; they are even richer than us. They use the money to sponsor the publication of lies without even crosschecking whether it is true or not.

“This is our country; we don’t have any other country other than Nigeria. So when somebody brings lies against somebody, you investigate it to know whether it is the truth or not before you publish it; that is what we are recommending for our friends in the media.”
 

  CRIME Police News AddThis :  Original Author :  SaharaReporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
Categories: audio

Nigerian Students At OAU Attack Each Other With 'Sniper' Over Bedbugs

13 hours 49 min ago


 

Obafemi Awolowo University OAU, Ile-Ife, poured 'sniper' (very dangerous insecticide) on each other's faces over bedbugs.

The two female students, who reside in Mozambique hall, engaged in a squabble after one accused the other that she infested her room with bedbugs.

The aggrieved student then proceeded to the 'sniper' at her colleague.

Another resident in Mozambique hall said: “We all shouted that it was unfair to do that but she said she was trying to kill bedbugs. The other one didn’t take it lightly; she started shouting and attempted to retaliate but we blocked her. We later reported the case to the hall warden and the case was resolved.

“When we got to the hostel, she started feeling pains and she suddenly took the 'sniper' and poured it on her opponent’s body too. One of us rushed to the school porter and she made calls. The two of them were then taken to the health centre.”

OAU has been in the news over report of its inhabitable hall of residents. The most notorious of the halls is the famous Obafemi Awolowo Hall, also known as Awo hall.

The university management has failed to renovate these hostels despite students protests and public outcries.\

Reacting to the 'sniper' fight, Abiodun Olanrewaju, OAU spokesman, said the two students had been treated at the school's medical centre.

“One of them wanted to use it ('sniper'), the other disagreed. That was the genesis of the matter.

“It was a minor disagreement involving two students over the use of 'sniper'. It has been resolved. The two students were treated at our health centre here," he said.

 

Education PUBLIC HEALTH News AddThis :  Original Author :  SaharaReporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
Categories: audio